Thursday, February 26, 2009

Death of A Salesman Blog 2

• Blog – What do you make of Willy and Charley’s relationship?

I think that Willy and Charlie have a good relationship. They get a nice game of cards going and have talks about vitamins, car trouble, and a trip to California. Eventually, Charlie asks Willy if he wants a job and Willy is insulted. However, as the card game goes on Uncle Ben enters. Willy is the only one who can hear and see him. Ben and Willy have a conversation, which during that time, Charlie gets confused. Willy cannot keep his conversation with Ben and Charlie apart, and as a result, looses his composure. Willy accuses Charlie of cheating and so Charlie leaves. “I put the ace-If you don’t know how to play the game I’m not gonna throw my money away on you! It was my ace, for God’s sake!” (Pg. 46) Although it seems like they don’t get along, I think that is reality, Charlie is a true friend to Willy. Willy is just confused because to him Ben is as real as Charlie is.

1 comment:

Chris G said...

Michael I agree with some of what you said but I would say their relationship is more one-sided as Willy gets most of the words in and proves his arrogance through his ignorance about vitamins. When Charley leaves Willy slams the door and mutters, "Ignoramus". This shows that Willy is talking behind his back and he wants to get he last word in no matter who hears it.