Saturday, September 20, 2008

Chapters 11-13

“The slaves generally compose their own songs and hymns; and they do not trouble their heads much about the measure. They often sing the following verses:

Old Satan is one busy ole man;
He rolls dem blocks all in my way;
But Jesus is my bosom friend;
He rolls dem blacks away.

If I had died when I was young,
Den how my stam’ring tounge would have sung;
But I am ole, and now I stand
A narrow chance for to tread dat heavenly land.”


This passage interested me because it shows the reader a clear example of something the slaves can choose if they want to do. It also portrays the slaves’ involvement in how they see the church. The slaves use these verses when working in the fields to pass by the time. During this point in the book, Linda is describing how the church relates to slavery. She told stories of different ministers and depending on the minister whether he saw slavery necessary or that blacks and whites should be equal.

No comments: