Monday, September 22, 2008

Chapters 14-17

• Blog – Why does Linda get so upset when her daughter is given a gold necklace to wear? What is she comparing that act to? Do you agree with the comparison?

At the very end of chapter 14 Linda’s daughter is given a gold necklace from her father’s old mistress. Linda thanked her for the gift as every polite person would, but in reality she was upset with the gift. In her eyes, Linda saw the gold necklace as a symbol of slavery. “I wanted no chain to be fastened on my daughter, not even if its links were of gold.” (Pg. 100) Linda never wants her daughter to be in the same situations as she was when she was a kid. Obviously slaves see things differently then we do so I can’t say that I agree or disagree with Linda’s comparison. It would have been so easy for a slave to portray something, as being bad while another person wouldn’t even have thought of it. Not only was Linda upset with the gold necklace but also upset at her father. “I loved my father; but it mortified me to be obliged to bestow his name on my children.” (Pg. 100) Before Linda’s daughter received the gift she was christened. Linda gave her daughter the surname of her father, which she did not want to do.

1 comment:

n00b said...

I totally agree with you. In fact what your wrote covered everything that i wrote about. However, i did not write about her being angry with her father. I'm confused as to how that relates to the gold necklace.